Monday 23 May 2011

Using Patriot XPorter XT Boost for Win 7 Ready Boost

For a while I have been using a Kingston Data Traveler DT100 8GB for ready boost of windows 7, I have seen some sites where it is said that this USB flash device is too slow. It kicks out about 10 MB sec (write and read), and although I am uncertain as to whether Ready boost actually works, my rather annoying sense of " I have to try" forced me in to getting a better / certified flash drive.

Kingston DT100 Stats

DataTraveler 100

Practical - capless, USB connector protected within case
Guaranteed - five-year warranty
Dimensions - 2.35" x 0.88" x 0.37" (59.7mm x 22.3mm x 9.5mm)
Capacities - 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB
Speed - 10MB/sec. read and 10 MB/sec. write
Operating temperatures - 32° F to 140° F (0° C to 60° C)
Storage temperatures - -4° F to 185° F (-20° C to 85° C)

Patriot XPorter XT Boost x 200

Back of pack:



So I have now switched to a Patriot XPorter XT Boost x 200 which I purchased from Amazon for about £15. Any difference to my system, no not really.

Xporter XBoost Stats:

About 30 mb sec read, and 17 mbsec write. Xporter Stats

http://www.pendrivereviews.com/patriot-xporter-xt-boost-review-and-benchmark/

I think I have now concluded that ready boost is not some kind of miracle, I believe it makes a big difference on low spec machines, but you would have to have a machine with a lower spec than mine to notice a difference, I have a very old pc:

Brand: HP
Processor: 2.8 gig intel (no HT)
RAM 1.5 gig of PC133
Approx date of manufacture: 2002

No it is not a rocket ship, and still there is small gain to be had from ready boost.

My advice put the money you might spend on this drive towards a new computer when the time comes. . . .

Environmental Consultants

2 comments:

  1. Update:

    Have just sent this Patriot X porter back to amazon, as it stopped working.

    Not very good for only 2 weeks use, I have ordered a replacement and will see how things go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one did fail, not great received replacement from Amazon no probs, this one worked.

    BUT I would say that Ready Boost is not worth using, even on a machine specified above, seems to create more "hangs".

    It may be something to do with the fact I am using a PCI ( NOT PCIe) to USB convertor, as my ancient machine only had USB 1.0 as standard.

    Ihave spent about £20 getting ready boost to work on my rather ancient PC, my advice. . . spend the money on beer or something useful.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave question they will get answered! But no spam please I will delete it. :-(