Thursday 24 May 2012

Schwalbe Big Apple 2.00" / 2" Review

Schwalbe Big Apple 2.00 - Intro

After the death of my kenda kross tyres I splashed out and bought some tires that I hope will last, the number 1 priority was puncture resistance and so I ended up looking at these Schwalbe Big Apple 2.00s, these go right up to 2.35", but I am 30 and therefore sensible and went for the thinner ones :-).

Schwalbe Big Apple 2.00 - Price

This is probably the only down side, they cost a fair bit, I bought mine from pratical cycles on ebay. Prices range from £16 to £30 on line so it pays to shop around.

Schwalbe Big Apple 2.00 - MudguardsYes these 2.00 variants fitted inside my mud guards, I maybe could have got away with the 2.1" variant. . .maybe. But certainly not the 2.35s.

Puncture Update.
Well I have ridden 2 months now with no punctures what so ever. . .that for me has to be some kind of record.

Puncture Update 2.

In fact these lasted 6 months in the end without a puncture. However, they are not indestructible.  As I will now describe.

Schwalbe Big Apple Death

Out riding the other day (off road) I ran over a piece of flint which had killed by rear big apple.


The flint was sharp and showed my kevlar big apple tyre no mercy what so ever.

If you look carefully you can see the yellowish puncture protection band, which appears to have held up. My only comment is that it is a bit narrow, if this band were to extended around the side walls a little more it would be good.

I got home by cutting up the punctured inner tube and layering it in playing card sized pieces 4 - 5 deep over the hole. Stuck in spare tube (very important!) I ran the tire at about 35 psi and cycled home tail between legs.

This was my first puncture in 6 months. I was very unlucky to find such a well / badly orientated flint, and will be buying the same tire as a replacement.

Update : September 2013

18 months on and apart from the freak accident as described above invloving the flint, I have had not one puncture.  . . .what can I say I will never buy a different tire ever again. Thanks Schwalbe.

Flood Risk

Desktop Study

Sustainability Consultants

Schwalbe Big Apple
Reviewed by Kermit Green on May 25 2012
Rating: 5.0

1 comment:

  1. Fair do's cobber. If going to slash the mother Jack The Ripper Style then nothing is going to realistically survive that is it!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave question they will get answered! But no spam please I will delete it. :-(